Saturday, March 14, 2015

Where's the money going? To restaurants, it seems

  A recent article mentions a first:  In January, Americans spent just a bit more at restaurants and bars than in grocery stores, according to the Census Bureau.
  Why?  A lot of reasons, according to some of the experts quoted:  A younger generation that's more likely to eat out than cook. People working longer hours. Our changing view of restaurants. 

Some musings ...

    Personally, I would have liked to see a breakdown by age and income. Are more baby boomers eating out, too?  (I know a couple of women who 'retired' from cooking after the kids left home.)  
    I also wonder if more money is spent at higher-end restaurants, which could skew the totals. (Especially since I keep seeing stories about how mid-price restaurants are struggling.)

   Anyway, I'm sure it's enough to give grocery executives heartburn ...

If you're interested, here's the story:

 www.yahoo.com/food/in-first-americans-spent-more-in-restaurants-than-112803758886.html

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Wow, I would have never thought this was real. While I like to eat out once in awhile, a good home cooked meal is they way I would prefer to spend my cash.

God bless.