Saturday, January 10, 2015

Substitutions, please

Decided to make a pot of my minestrone soup for a very cold day.  But I've been putting off a big shop, so some of my most-used items are running low ... or are gone. 

First .. no fresh garlic.  No problem, garlic powder will work.

But then I realized I only had one can of white beans ... needed two.  What we did have were a couple of cans of garbanzo beans (we make our own hummus).   After a suggestion by DH, I decided to substitute the garbanzos for one of the cans of beans.

You know what ... I couldn't tell the difference. 

3 comments:

CTMOM said...

I would have done exactly as you did, any beans could be used as a substitute. Do you not keep any dried versions on hand?

Jackie said...

Good sub with the beans DW. I have found that sometimes the substitutions have worked better than what was originally called for.

God bless.

DW said...

Actually, Carol, I don't keep dried beans on hand. Something I should do. Do you cook yours ahead and freeze?