Sunday, December 14, 2014

Back to 'olden' times

   As I've mentioned to my forum friends, we've been painting the kitchen here at the casa de chaos.   It's been going a bit more slowly than expected (we're doing this around DH's work schedule).

   All the shifting has left us without a microwave oven for the past week or so.  It's no problem to plan meals that can be cooked in the oven or on the stove top, but how to reheat the leftovers?  I remember my DM had a stove-top oven in the pre-microwave days, but I have no such thing.

  So, a bit of thinking.  Some things obviously could be reheated in the oven:  pizza, chicken pieces wrapped in foil.  But what to do with pasta in sauce, or a cooked rice dish?  My solution:  a small skillet.

I've had to be a bit more patient:  chicken needs more than 2 minutes to warm up in the oven, and rice and pasta have to be watched and stirred.  And I actually have to use my kettle to warm up water for a single cup of tea. ;)  But all in all, it works.  

But I still look forward to having my microwave back in place.

 
 

2 comments:

CTMOM said...

Got a steamer? a double boiler? Place an upside down bowl in the bottom of a large, Dutch oven. Add a bit of water to cover the bowl at least 1/2 way up the side of the bowl. Place your baking dish/the glass container that holds the leftovers on top of the overturned bowl and then place a lid on the improvised steamer. Heat the steamer water to boiling, turn down the heat and let it go until the leftovers are heated through. I'd also cover the "leftover container" to speed things along. Steam is a powerful source.

Also-do you have a toaster oven? that is also an economical alternative to a power sucking oven.

HTH!

DW said...

No toaster oven, but I like the steamer idea!