- Not our food, but ... had to switch foods for Senior Gal because it was upsetting her tummy. Unfortunately, that left half a bag of kibble. Since I put the food in smaller containers, I now dump a scoop or two in her younger siblings food mix. They're OK with it. Did the same thing with a cat food sample that came in the mail.
- Stretching produce: The garden right now is coming in handy ... I'm able to stretch out our salads with a nice array of microgreens. Hoping the tomatoes come in soon.
- More produce: Trying to use up some fresh carrots, so I'm cooking them with the frozen peas for side dishes. The fresh cabbage has been going into soups and stir fries.
- Bread: Any stale slices go into the fridge to be made into salad croutons. We same the crumbs too, in a bag in the freezer. (Homemade bread is very crumbly, I find.) When we get a small bag full, it goes into meatballs, or as breading.
- Using what's in season. Here, that's now mulberries. I juice them for salad dressing, and will be making a batch of freezer jam. (that's an experiment, so stay tuned). There also will be cobbler and plenty of muffins and or quick bread. (And forgot to mention a batch of mulberry applesauce -- using up berries and apples!)
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
Stretching: food edition
How we've been trying to stretch those food dollars here at the casa de chaos this past week ... cause my grocery bills certainly aren't going down....