Monday, June 16, 2014

A garden oops

      We had a cold spell just after I planted my pots of oregano and basil, and after a couple of weeks I realized that the basil had never come up.  So, since I had another packet of seeds, I replanted.

     (You get an idea of where I'm going with this, don't you?)

      Yep,  when the "oregano" grew large enough so I could recognize it, I realized that somehow, the pots had been switched. (Had already lost the markers during a storm).  The basil had come up.    So had the basil I'd planted in the other pot.

     So it appears I'll have a bumper crop of basil this year.  Ah, well, it dries nicely. 

7 comments:

Jackie said...

Basil is one herb a person can never have too much of.....

I have what I think might be mint to plant, then again it could be oregano. Hmmm, guess it will surprise me.

God bless.

Lili@creativesavv said...

Hi DW,
Lots of basil would be welcome, here! My basil isn't liking this cool trend we have this week. I just hope it can recover.
Do you ever freeze basil? I like the flavor of the frozen basil more than dried. And I can make pesto in winter with the frozen basil.

DW said...

Lil, I've never tried freezing it. Do you just put it in a bag, or in ice cubes?

DW said...

Jackie ... let us know what comes up! LOL!

Lili@creativesavv said...

I chop it and put into ziplocs. Even frozen, it breaks apart really easily. I do this with parsley, too, as I think it has better flavor frozen than dried.
Consider yourself lucky that you'll have a bumper crop of basil! (green with envy, here)

DW said...

Lil, wish I could send you some!

I'll have to try freezing it!

DW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.