Tuesday, February 4, 2014

This and that

 Just a few notes from the casa de chaos ...

It's snowing. Again.  A few days of above-freezing temps managed to melt the ice sheet off our street ... followed by another  6 to 10 inches of snow to accumulate overnight.  

   Things are buttoned up pretty well, but the house still feels chilly.   Whenever I cook or bake something now, I take the pot or pan into the dining room to cool down.  It throws a bit of welcome heat and moisture into the room.

    After reading what Lil over at Creative Savv had to say about making Greek yogurt from regular, I felt like kicking myself..  Greek yogurt is basically strained regular yogurt?  And for that they want $4 to $5 a quart, compared with the $2 to $3 for regular?   Needless to say, I have some yogurt straining in my fridge right now ...


We are about to embark on a new DIY project ... replacing the kitchen faucet.  Actually, I wanted to replace the sink, too. But as we began to price out the project, the costs just kept going up.   And we shopped darn hard to try to get the costs down.   So we'll go with the faucet for now ...

7 comments:

CTMOM said...

got a habitat for humanity? awesome prices and often brand new items!

Jackie said...

Wow, never thought of making Greek yogurt out of regular. What a great idea.

Hopefully your rotten weather will be gone very soon.

God bless.

Gayle said...

Believe me, I would happily take all of your snow.. well I'd leave you with about 4 inches, but I'd take all the rest.

=) Gayle

DW said...

Carol, we do have a Restore. Great idea, thank you!

DW said...

Gayle, we ended up with 5.5 inches ...plus another half inch last night! Wish I could send it your way ;)

DW said...

Jackie .. it did work pretty well. I was surprised at how much water drained off ..

Stacie said...

Don't throw away the whey you strained out from your yogurt. You can use it for baking, watering plants, whatever.