Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pear butter!

     Came across a bargain at the grocery:  a bag of with about a half-dozen bruised pears for $1.66.       Decided to buy them and try my hand at making some pear butter.   

       Wasn't thrilled with the recipes I found, but did run across a nice recipe for pear sauce ... spiced with cinnamon, ginger and vanilla.   And since apple butter is basically cooked-down applesauce ... seemed like pears should be the same.

       Took me a couple of hours at the stove, but I ended up with a lightly spice, very pear-ry  tasting  product.   Tasted pretty good on the pancakes we had for Christmas Eve breakfast!

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Great save on the pears. The pear butter idea is very interesting to me. Might have to give it a try.

You are right about the corking,I think it is something we all did as youngsters. This time I am going to make a rug for our dining room. Wish me luck.

God Bless.

Patty said...

Your pear butter sounds delicious! I love pears in any shape, form, or fashion.

DW said...

Thanks Patty and Jackie. It tastes pretty good on toast, too ;)