Sunday, December 22, 2013

Black walnuts

  The time has come, the walnut said ....

  It's time to see how the black walnuts we've collected from around the neighborhood have fared after a a month or so of curing.  
  That mess in the photo is the pile of shells from the first half-dozen that I took a hammer to.

     So far, so good.  I was a bit surprised.  I was expecting them to be large nutmeats, like a regular walnut.  Didn't realize that the shells had many chambers ...   Oh, well, I was going to chop them up anyway ... nothing like getting a head start.

    Cracking nuts is good frustration relief, too, LOL!  And it certainly entertains the cats ... especially when a piece of shell goes skittering off.

    A little early to tell just how much nutmeat I'm going to get out of those 6 dozen nuts ...  but it's time to peruse cookie and cake recipes ...

No comments: