Saturday, October 12, 2013

Apple time!

  For me, one of the best things about fall is the annual trip to the apple orchard.  Something about biting into a nice crisp apple on a beautiful fall day ...

But I digress.   We made the trip last weekend and picked up a small bag for "eatin' " apples ... and a half-bushel of "seconds" to use for cooking.  ( Not a bad deal ... $9 bucks, compared with $16 for a "Grade A" half bushel. And we could get an assortment of apples, too.)

So far, I've made a quart of apple butter.  Also plan to make a batch of cranberry applesauce, and some filling for crepes.   Oh, and I'm sure there's a pie or two in my future.

Apple Pie Bites seem to be the big thing this year.  Found this recipe, which is very tasty:
http://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/apple-pie-crescent-bites/72dc6476-259a-4466-8482-05d506b48156


4 comments:

Stacie said...

Can you share your recipe for apple butter?

Jackie said...

I do wish we had apple orchards around us!

Those apple pie bites sound very interesting.

God bless.

DW said...

I will do that Stacie ... my recipe is sort of a mash-up of 2 recipes, though.

Stacie said...

Thanks DW! Looking forward to it!