Sunday, October 20, 2013

Apple butter recipe

Stacie ... as promised:


Crock pot apple butter

Approximately 3 lbs of apples.  I fill a 6-quart crock pot full of peeled, cored and sliced apples.  (Your mileage may vary.  It your cooker is bigger, adjust the spices accordingly.)

Turn crock pot on high and let cook for an hour or so, covered,  until the apples are softened a bit. If your apples seem to be a bit dry, add more water or juice.  Stir often.

At this point, I add:

2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cloves
dash of salt
1/4 cup of apple juice or water

Pour spices over softened apples and stir. Cover again and let the apples cook down until it resembles a rather chunky applesauce. (This could take several hours)  I leave the cooker on high, though other recipes suggest turning it down to low.  I suspect this might depend on how hot your particular cooker gets.
  At that point, I use a stick blender to produce a nice, smooth mixture. A potato masher might work, too.

After that, I uncover the pot and let the mixture cook down until it is very thick and spreadable.  (and mixture will be very dark.)  Stir often to prevent scorching.

When done, let cool and load into jars.  Since this makes about a quart, I don't can ... just put the jars into the fridge, where they can stay for up to 6 weeks.  It also freezes.  

Beware ... this will take the better part of a day. My last batch took nearly 12 hours to finish, though my apples did throw off a lot of juice that had to be cooked down.  (Some recipes suggest letting it cook overnight on low.)  Next time, I'm considering making the applesauce part on the stove, then adding the spices and transferring it to the slow cooker to let it thicken. 


1 comment:

Stacie said...

Oh thank you! I'm printing it out for future reference. I just got 5lbs of apples, I might be using them for this project!