Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sewing projects


Sheesh .. Blogger is being very bad today .... it's been a pain trying to post.

   Anyway ... Over the years, I've been ask to lend my sewing skills (such as they are) to some odd repair projects.

   One year, I was asked to mend the covers of the balloon chest protectors that the youth baseball league keeps on  hand.  (If you don't know what I'm talking about .. look at old baseball game photos.  You'll see the plate umpire using one like a shield .  Nowadays, the protectors are small and light enough to wear inside a shirt.  But the league keeps a few on hand in case someone needs to be drafted...)

    This year, I had to replace a zipper ... in a lawn blower/vacuum bag!   These things, which are not exactly cheap, aren't made very well, it seems.  This one popped after about a year of service.

     For starters, this thing got the cleaning of its life.  No way was it going near my sewing machine until it was grass- and dust-free. 
     Then I had to figure out a zipper.  The original was a 44 inch single pull that went all the way around the bag.  No idea where to find one ... so I made do with a 22-inch dress zipper and MacGyvered it in.  (It doesn't match, but I found it in my sewing stash, so free wins out.)

     So ... it's fixed.  Hasn't been used yet, so I have no idea if it will work .. or for how long.  On the other hand, I do have another zipper in the stash....

 

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Hope it works for you. In all the weird things I have had to repair (or been asked to repair) I have never replaced a zipper in a lawn blower. You are one brave lady.

God bless.

DW said...

Thanks ... if you knew how much I hate to put in zippers .. .especially the set-in kind ...