Thursday, May 9, 2013

Whip it!

If you were expecting something more ... interesting .... sorry about that.  (But I always wanted to use that title.)

   Actually, I got a great price on butter recently. Trouble is, we don't use much butter, except occasionally in baking.  But we do use blended butter or  margarine for everyday.

So, I had an idea.   With a little help from the Internets, I came up with a recipe to  make whipped butter ... or rather a  butter/canola oil blend.

I used half a pound of butter, whipped it till soft, then slowly beat in 3/4 cup of canola oil until everything was incorporated nicely. (Had the consistency of a cake batter.)

It set up quite nicely and spreads easily.  I think next time, I may use a full cup of oil just to see if it will lighten up even more.

It filled a 15 oz container.  Cost: around $1, less than half the price of what a container half that size costs at the store.

      A lot of this, of course, depends on the price of butter ... but know that I know how much this makes, I have a means for comparison. 

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I have done the same type of thing with margarine. It is a great way to save money.

God bless.