Thursday, April 25, 2013

Reclaming rice

    I was given a package of microwave rice -- pop the cup in the oven, nuke it for a couple of minutes, and you've got a side dish.
     One problem ... I didn't like it.  Apparently the manufacturer uses oil to speed the cooking process, and that oily taste was very pronounced,
     So, the other cup ended up in the pantry .... where I came across it a few days ago.

     I figured I had nothing to lose, so I dumped the rice into a strainer and give it a good rinsing.  Then I decided to cook it like instant rice.

      Didn't work.  After 20 minutes, I had water and uncooked rice.   So I simmered it for 15 minutes or so.

     Success!  Turned out to be quite tasty, even given that it  was, er, past its expiration date.

     

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Good save on the rice DW. I don't like those little cup things either.

God bless.