Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sewing projects

Been on a sewing kick here at the Casa de Chaos ...


My late DM was an avid quilter and sewer, and left me with enough stuff to stock a store ... even after I sold and donated quite a bit after her passing.

One of the things she left was 30   17-inch, pieced  squares in the log cabin pattern.  I don't think she was intending them for a quilt ... I think they were going to be throw pillows (she made quite a few of those as gifts).

But I need a new throw for the recliner to protect it from Big Boy.  These squares will match my decor, and it's high time they came out of storage.

So, I'm sewing squares.  I do have to cut a few solid-color ones to have enough for both sides.

I'm not sure what to do next.  I don't want to make a full-blown quilt ... meaning I don't want to do a lot of  finishing quilting.  I have two possibilities:
 1) Just sew the 2 sides together like a duvet cover. 
 2) I admit this is wacky, but I was thinking of sewing a square of batting to each group of 4 squares, but leaving the seam allowance open. Then I would just sew the groups of 4 squares together as usual. I still would probably have to tack the front of the throw to the batting somehow.

       Would either of these work?  Or is there another option?

No comments: