Saturday, February 16, 2013

How much is that card?

Ran into an interesting marketing trick the other day ...

I wanted to get a small gift for someone ... a gift card, something in the $10 range.
So I headed over to the local supermarket, which has an astounding array of gift cards.  (Apparently folks must be spending big bucks on Facebook games ??)

Anyway, as I perused the selection, I noticed something interesting:  All the cards were for a minimum of $25.  There were plenty for $50 and $100, but nothing in the $10 range.

I walked over to another display:  Same thing.

Finally found a small display tucked away by the self-serve checkouts, and found a $15 card.  Still more than I'd intended to spend, but ...

I'm sure there's plenty of thought behind this ... put the high-value cards in easy reach of folks who need to buy something in a hurry.  (I suppose there's also the 'I don't want to look cheap' factor at work here, too.)

I'm curious now ... I shall have to check out the gift-card displays in other stores  ;)

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Now you have me wondering as well DW. Hmmm, going to have to check that out the next time I go shopping.

God bless.