Saturday, November 10, 2012

Why didn't I think of that?

    The nice things about Internet forums is that I still learn things ....

     Recently, one of my friends over on Stretcher said that when she cooked with apples, she boiled the peels and cores to make apple juice ... which she used for jelly.

     When I read this, I slapped my forehead and thought: Idjit!  How many cores and bunches of peels have you thrown out recently?

    But it's not too late, LOL!   The last couple of  times I've made applesauce, I've boiled the cores and peels (well, not the nasty, spotted parts ...) and made juice.

        Don't know if' I'll make apple jelly ... I was thinking about combining it with mulberry juice. Since apple has a fair amount of pectin, it might help the jelly set a little better. And given my track record for jelly making, I need all the help I can get.

       The juice has come in handy, however.  I needed a few tablespoons to make icing for cookies.  Used my newly made juice for it instead of buying a bottle.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

DW, I have made peach jelly using the peels and pits from peaches. Tasted great.

God bless.

DW said...

The pits? It doesn't make the juice taste bitter?

Jackie said...

I don't break open the pits, rather just throw them in whole with the bits of peach flesh on them (there seems to always be a bit on them). There is a recipe on the Certo (pectin) card that I used.