Monday, November 5, 2012

Art for nothing

         At an art show recently, I came across a poster artist who, instead of giving out business cards, offered postcards featuring one of his works.

       I liked the card, so I took one with the idea of framing it for my desk at work.   (When it comes to decorating, I'm willing to stick anything in a frame.  I've done note cards, old stock certificates, my father's grade school diploma ...)

       But this postcard was a particular challenge.  It didn't fit a standard 3x5 or 4x6 acrylic frame .. .which I happened to have. Didn't want to cut it, and didn't want to buy a larger frame.

      Anyway, I was sorting through some junk, and came across an old nameplate from work.  (Seems like every time I've changed jobs ... or someone decides to redecorate or move my department to another part of the building ... I end up with another nameplate.)  Ahem ....   This particular nameplate (most recently used as a coaster) is two 6-inch acrylic squares that screw together.  So I took it apart, pulled out the name tag and slipped the postcard in.

     Actually, It's kind of nifty ... the squares really make the card stand out.
     And best of all, it didn't cost me anything!
    

No comments: