Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Substitutions

 I've been pushing a bit harder these days to use what we have on hand, rather than buy something new:

For a recipe that called for buttermilk, I used the old lemon juice in fresh milk trick. Worked well, and I saved the $4.49 cost of a can of buttermilk powder.


For another recipe that called for a pumpkin pie spice mix, I hit my favorite online recipe site and figured out how make my own, using spices already in my pantry. Saved $3+ by not buying a premixed tin.

         Found out that using leftover spinach instead of cabbage in a soup recipe worked just as well.

     I did strike out on substituting powdered milk for a recipe to avoid making a special trip to buy fresh milk. Oh, well, at least the milk was on markdown.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Great work DW. I need to be more aware of what I can substitute to keep our grocery totals down.