Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Garden report: Drought edition

  We are harvesting things from the garden here at Casa de Chaos, but the drought and ungodly hot temperatures have really taken a toll.

    My romas, which got a head start, are growing to normal size, but the other tomatoes, which should be, oh, tennis ball size, are more like golf-balls.  

   The yield is way off, too.  Right now, I've gotten about a dozen tomatoes ...

The green beans didn't produce much after the first pick, but started flowering again once the 100+ temps broke. My biggest problem right now is bugs ...  

     My peppers, I fear, aren't going to produce.  They're flowering, but no fruits.  And at least two of them are dying.

     I have a pickle-size cuke and lots of flowers.  The eggplant is flowering, but not much going on.  The basil, however, is growing wonderfully.

     I'm hoping that with the temps cooling down some, things will pick up again. (and a delayed first frost would be nice, too).  Otherwise, I fear there won't be much for the freezer this year.

   

    

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I have noticed a difference in size with our tomatoes as well DW.

Jackie said...

I have noticed a difference in size with our tomatoes as well DW.