Sunday, July 29, 2012

Oww!

I was really hoping to replace this graphic  with one of a dollar bill going up in flames ;)

Anyway, an update on my car woes:.


The garage I took it to told me that the car's control module ... it's computerized brain... had died. And while they could replace it, they didn't have the means to program it. So it had to go to the dealer.

The dealer's folks said, "Yep, they're right." Then gave me a 4-figure price to do the work. (the part by itself is darn close to $1,000.)

Gulp and double gulp!

Two bright spots: I got a discount because the car wasn't ready on time (part didn't arrive). I also came up with a coupon for 15% off any service, which knocked off some more. (Still couldn't get the bill under 4 figures.)

I've been reminding myself that things happen. And this is why we're frugal, so we'll have $$ to cover the unexpected. . And life will go on ... .





5 comments:

CTMOM said...

Gee, that stinks. What year model is it and how many miles do you have on it? How long do you plan on keeping it, now that you've invested into it?

DW said...

It's a 2008 Nissan, with less than 40,000 miles, which really irks me. (Friends have said, 'Gee, my Nissan went 100,000+ miles without that kind of trouble.')
I usually like to keep my cars at least 10 years. I'm hoping that this is just a freak thing, and I'll have many more years of driving withhout major repairs. If it's not, I may have to seriously consider cutting my losses ...

CTMOM said...

That is odd. Did they at least give you a warrenty on the part that was replaced?

DW said...

That they did ...

Stacie said...

OUCH, DW! That's gotta hurt!
We're looking at needing to replace our daughter's transmission in the very near future, and that's gonna hurt too. The upside is that the $1,000 to replace your control module thingy is still cheaper than a new car, even a good used car.
I hope you can get many, many more years of reliable driving out of your car once it's fixed.