Monday, July 9, 2012

Menu Monday: How do you cook corn on the cob?

Saw a blurb on Yahoo! the other week about the best way to cook corn on the cob. Their suggestion: bring the water to a boil, put the corn in, let it come back to a boil, then shut the burner off and let it sit until dinner is ready.



What caught my eye were a couple of comments that suggested cooking the ears in the microwave. Now I usually cook frozen veggies and whole potatoes in the microwave, but hadn't tried ears of corn.

So, I wrapped 2 ears in paper towels (cotton towels would work too) and got both packages soaking wet. Set the microwave for 8 minutes at full power and let 'er rip.


The corn was definitely steaming ... and it came out perfectly. I'll definitely be doing that again.


How about you? How do you cook corn on the cob?

2 comments:

Stacie said...

We rarely eat corn on the cob, but we boil it. I usually buy the frozen cobettes, so we wouldn't be able to cook them in husks. I have never been able to grow corn well in my backyard garden, and I'm not planning to grow it again next year. (The ants always got the ears. Ewwww.)

DW said...

Actually, I don't cook my corn in the husk. Haven't tried this method on frozen corn yet, but I think it would work ... just shouldn't have to take as long, since the corn has been blanched.