Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Mopping up

My steam mop died recently.

This was bad news for me, because I hate mopping the kitchen floor. Anyway, I've been trying to find something to use (preferably something not too messy) until I decide about buying another steam mop.

(I'd really prefer new vinyl flooring ... unfortunately, they don't make self-mopping vinyl just yet.)

I was thinking about buying one of those "Wet-Jet" mops when I got an idea. I kept the cloth "pads" from the steam mop ... really, just a piece of towel-like fabric with a couple of pieces of Velcro attached.

I wrapped the pad around my sponge mop .. and it fit. I took out my handy bottle of vinegar/ water mix, sprayed down a section of the floor and mopped. Spray, mop ... repeat.

It worked reasonably well. When one side of the pad got too dirty, I just flipped it over. And it's washable!

I just realized that I probably could make more pads out of old tube socks. Hmm.

I'd still rather have a self-mopping floor. Gotta work on that...

1 comment:

Stacie said...

If you made a self-mopping floor, I'd be your first customer!!