Saturday, January 21, 2012

That tab's going to be a bit higher this year

Sounds like the cost of restaurant meals is going up. From the Tampa Times:

Experts predict restaurant food and beverage prices to increase 5 percent or more this year. From fine dining to fast food, the restaurant industry will find it hard to absorb increased food prices without passing those additional costs on to consumers.

Course, this line doesn't make me feel any more confident about my own budget:

But the future looks expensive. The latest USDA commodity price forecast predicts 2012 beef and chicken prices to increase by 9 percent and 5 percent ...

I do feel for folks in the restaurant business. It's got to be tough, especially for smaller eateries. I know we've cut back on our restaurant trips ... or have been looking harder for bargains. From the looks of it, we may be cutting back even more.

The story: http://www.tampabay.com/features/food/restaurants/food-prices-in-2012-may-be-hard-to-stomach/1210880

2 comments:

Stacie said...

I was excited to learn that my husband got a cost-of-living adjustment in his pension. "At last, a bit of cushion in our budget!" I thought. Apparently the joke's on me.

Milk has gone up more than 60 cents a gallon, our property taxes and home insurance made our mortgage payment go up by $50 a month, and gasoline is up near $3.50 a gallon.

Those expenses alone more than ate up the extra income. Now our budget is even tighter than it originally was!

DW said...

Oh, ouch Stacie ... it does seem like 1 step forward and 2 back sometimes...