Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday menu: Chili-chicken soup

This is for my friend BB over at Stretcher:

Chili-chicken and dumplings

1 tablespoon vegetable (or canola) oil
1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt (use 2 teaspoons if you're using homemade broth)
6 cups chicken broth



Dumplings
2 cups baking mix (I use the lower fat version; your own dumpling recipe would work, too.)
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup dried cilantro
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

In a dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Cook chicken, onion, chili powder and salt in oil, stirring frequently, until chicken is browned. Stir in broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix baking mix and milk until soft dough forms. Fold in cilantro and cumin. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls into simmering soup. Cook uncovered 10 minutes. Cover; cook 10 minutes longer.

Note: The first time I made this, I used the full recipe and had way too many dumplings. The second time, I halved it, and didn't have enough. So I'm giving you the full recipe and letting you decide for yourself.

No comments: