Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chomping on dishes?

Ever hear of a dishwasher taking a bite out of your dishes?

A couple of years ago, the dinnerware here at the Casa de Chaos was replaced (it was bought used, and getting pretty worn). So a nice pile of coupons and gift cards earned with rebates paid for a set of brightly colored dishes.

But something is odd ... chips are appearing around the edges. I admit things get clanked around, but gee whiz, it's not like I use them for a juggling act.

My friends at Stretcher suggested painting the chips with some acrylic craft paint. So I took photos of the plates and hauled the camera off to the craft store so I could get a good match. (Ya know how many shades are out there? Yikes!)

So, the plates were painted, then put in the dishwasher. When I took them out ... they were chipped!

First, I thought that the paint had washed off. But no, I found the spots that had been repaired ... and the paint held. These are new chips!

I'm at a loss. I don't think the dishwasher arm is hitting the plates. Nothing else that goes in seems to be damaged -- including the bowls from the set. Are bits of food being whizzed around at supersonic speed? Or do they just not make plates like they used to?

2 comments:

deblaneaz said...

I too had this "problem" with plates and bowls - they were purchased at Kohl's and kinda looked like Fiesta ware but were not...even a close friend got rid of her's purchased from there also due to chipping.

DW said...

I've seen those dishes at Kohl's ... sorry to hear that they chip, too. Guess they don't make things like they used to...