Saturday, January 7, 2012

Change the oil? Not yet!

This likely isn't good news for the oil companies or the garages that do oil changes, but according to a Los Angeles Times story, California has launched a campaign to persuade its drivers (and it does have a lot of them) not to have their vehicles' oil changed every 3,000 miles.

According to the state agency launching the campaign, changing motor oil according to manufacturer specifications would reduce oil demand in California by about 10 million gallons a year.

The state has created a Web site where you can plug in your vehicle's make, model and year, and get the manufacturer's specs on when to change the oil. When I tried it, I learned that I should go 7,500 miles between oil changes.

I'd already lengthened my oil-change intervals to 5,000 miles, but the idea of saving an extra $20 or $40 a year? Hey, I'll make the sacrifice for the environment!

Here are the links:www.checkyournumber.org
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/15/business/la-fi-autos-oil-change-20111215

BTW: The check your number site was running slowly when I used it. Oh, and as usual, your savings may vary.

No comments: