Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Garden report: We're out of time


All good things must come to an end, it seems. The weather report says that we'll get a hard freeze this week, so it's time to shut down the garden.

Bit by bit, I'm bringing things in: the peppers, the green tomatoes, the beans.
I've cut herbs for drying. Fortunately, most of them are in pots, so I can bring them in until we get another mild spell (and of course, we will ;)

I've got geraniums to pot up for overwintering, and my rosebush needs to be cut back and mulched. Now I've got to find room for all these pots!

Sigh. It's sad, especially when I see that the beans and the pepper plants are still flowering. But it looks like we're out of time.

2 comments:

Stacie said...

Have you tried covering your peppers and/or tomatoes with a heavy fabric? Sometimes I've use black plastic contractor bags (a heavy kind)with success. You might try putting gallon jugs of water under the bags with your plants. Water tends to buffer the surrounding air temperature so it doesn't freeze as quickly.

DW said...

Didn't know that about the water, Stacie. I may try that with the rosebush!