Thursday, August 4, 2011

Things that make you go hmmm ....

I've noticed something interesting about the sales at my local supermarkets. Seems like everyone is advertising "quantities"
Buy 10 items from this list and get $XX off your order.
Buy $30 worth of these products and get $X off your order.

I'm not sure if this is a reaction to extreme couponing (since most of my area stores now limit how many coupons they'll double, etc.), or if it's an attempt to keep folks (like me) from "cherry picking" the sale items, or if it's just a way to entice us to spend more $$ at their store.

To be honest, I find it a bit annoying. I don't feel like spending extra $$ just so I can get an extra 50 cents or so off the items I do want.

Maybe it's just a marketing fad ?

1 comment:

Stacie said...

OOH Oooh I know this one!!

You're right, it's a marketing fad. If businesses put "limit 10" on a sale items, shoppers will think there is a scarcity of the item, and instinctively want to buy all 10 available.

The same concept of implied scarcity happens when BOGO sales are offered. Even if you get the first item for 50% off, you tend to buy two items instead of just one. The idea of getting one for FREE is too cool to pass up.

My DH is taking a college marketing class next semester. I think I'm going to enjoy it just as much as if I were the student. I'll pass along any interesting "stuff" I learn, if that kind of marketing psychology stuff.