Friday, June 10, 2011

Time to cut the cord?

Warning: Rant!

The phone company is now on my "you know what" list.

In the past two months, the combined DSL/landline bill at the casa de chaos has jumped by $8.50. Oddly enough, the actual increase is only $5, but higher prices mean higher taxes.

Wondering if this is the start of ever-escalating price hikes ... as more folks dump the landlines, those of us who are left are going to have to pick up more of the costs of maintaining them.

Admittedly, we're sort of stuck with the Internet option. Dial-up's too slow for our needs, so it's either DSL or cable (unless we want to steal the neighbors' wireless ... No, not really). And I dumped cable because of lousy TV service ... not sure I want to entrust my Internet to them.

But I'm really considering dumping the landline and replacing it with a pay-as-you-go cell phone for the house, and just buying the DSL. Lots of pros and cons to be considered ... but it's sure something to think about.

2 comments:

Living on Less Money said...

We pay for DSL and use Magic Jack. It has it's 'bumps' but for 12 a year it's worth it. Of course you have top pay for the item itself but you can find it on sale.

CTMOM said...

I got about tired of paying about $35 for a basic land line AT & T service. 4 of the 6 of us had cellphones. I added a 5th line to my cell plan for an additional $12 and change/month including tax and msc fees-instantly saving $23 out of my budget. This is now the "house phone" that youngest w/o cell phones use to "check in" after school while I am still at work. I don't miss the land line at all. Our internet is thru cable