Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Silver-plated lining

As part of my decluttering efforts, I finally took a good look at the silverware drawer. Besides the stainless that DH and I have collected over the years, there sat a jumble of very tarnished flatware that I'd inherited from my late mother and aunts.

The flatware is nice enough, but outside of a couple of pieces, I never use it. Frankly, it's a pain to keep clean. (Don't think it's dishwasher safe.)

So, what to do? Maybe this is worth something, I decided. So a bit of research later, I discovered a couple of things:

1) It's silver plate, not sterling. Seems Wm. Rogers flatware was very popular in the first half of the 20th century.

2) So far, it's not worth much. Apparently there's not enough silver to make it worth selling to a metals dealer. As for collectors ... there are lots of unsold listings on eBay and other sites. There is a large company that sells/buys flatware patterns, but it only seems to be buying odd pieces, like serving forks.

So I'm still sorting .. and learning ... Ultimately, it may just land in a box. Unless I can come up with some killer craft item using flatware!

1 comment:

Stacie said...

I read somewhere that silver is dishwasher safe, as long as you don't let it come in contact with your stainless steel while it's washing. I've never tried it, so I don't know if it's true.