Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday Menu: I'm jammin'

Even though my jelly-making abilities are rather suspect, I decided to use up some fruit by making jam.

So I rooted around the internets and came up with this recipe, which I proceeded to fiddle with:

3 cups fruit
1 cup water
1 cup sugar

Combine the fruit and water in a saucepan and boil over moderate heat for 15 minutes until the fruit is softened. Process in a blender or food processor until smooth. (I use one of those submersible blenders .. the kind that looks like a boat motor. That way I can process it right in the pan)

Return to the saucepan and add the sugar. Boil 30 to 40 minutes until thick and the proper consistency for a jam. Pour into a sterilized jar.

I just pop this into the fridge after it cools. The process turns 3 cups of fruit into about 1 cup of jam.

I tried it with mango and pineapple, and it came out really well. The original recipe called for 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla. Frankly, I don't think it added anything and just darkened up the jam, so I won't do that again.

Then I tried it on my jelly nemesis: mulberries. With this, I threw in 6 drops of raspberry extract along with the sugar. The jam is rather ... er .. seedy, but I think it will turn out just fine.

No comments: