Monday, March 21, 2011

Menu Monday: Minnestrone

I was asked if I could post some recipes, so I'll try to make it an occasional Monday thing.

Here's a quick and easy minestrone:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 lb (or 1 bunch) of greens coarsely chopped -- kale, spinach, collard greens or turnip greens.
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 can white beans (I use great northern)
1 can diced tomatoes in juice
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups water

In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat oil. Add onion and garlic with salt and pepper and cook until onion begins to soften.
Add tomato paste and stir until onion is coated.
Add greens, thyme and red pepper flakes, cook, stirring until greens begin to wilt.
Add beans and tomatoes, including liquid from cans, and the water.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until greens are tender.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with grated Parmesan if desired.

I tend to throw in a bit more garlic and red pepper flakes while it's simmering because we like the soup to be on the spicy side...
If you don't want a lot of greens, feel free to use a half, or even a quarter of a bunch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi
wolT cheapchic here have to read your blog and low and behold oh yum my favorite soup this Im copy free hand why Im not sharing this puppy with no one my faorite soup yum you know got me hungry... See you on the D.S.