Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sometimes it pays to ask

It was time to renew my subscription for my computer's anti-virus/firewall updates. (yeah, I do pay for that stuff ... I'll explain in a bit) And I was getting peeved because I couldn't get a firm price for the renewal. The only link I could find was for $30 more than I was paying per year. Uh, no thanks.

So I had a chat with a customer service representative. She gave me a price that was $10 more than I usually paid. When I pointed this out, she suggested I call the sales department, and gave me the phone number.

OK. So, I called, and got quoted a price that was slightly below what I'd been paying. And wait, there's more! He offered to knock another $5 off the price.

So I agreed. And this year, I came out slightly ahead. Of course, now I wonder if I should have bargained a bit harder ;)

(And in case you're wondering, I do know there are plenty of free anti-virus and firewall and malware-blockers out there, and they have plenty of fans. I used to use some of them too, until my computer got hit with viruses - twice. At that point, I decided you get what you pay for ... and paying for software was cheaper than paying my computer geek.)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Nice work, your persistance paid off!