Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Curry chicken, reconstructed

There's a crockpot in my kitchen, though I seldom use it. In fact, I think it's main purpose is to keep food warm at pitch-ins.

Don't know if it's our odd schedules or poor planning, but finding a 5 or 8-hour block of time to let something cook is tough. So, when I find a good slow-cooker recipe, I've been known to adapt it to stovetop use.

My latest try is:

Curry Chicken
6 chicken thighs, skins removed (drumsticks work, too)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups salsa
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 cups water
1 cup sour cream

In a dutch oven, sweat onion with salt and pepper in vegetable oil. Add chicken and brown on both sides

Add salsa, water, curry powder, garlic and more salt and pepper to chicken. Stir, then cover and cook for 2 hours.

Take chicken out, put on serving platter. Add sour cream to sauce; serve over chicken. Serve with rice.

Notes: I used medium salsa and the 2 tablespoons of curry powder, and it had a pretty good kick. If you like less spice, use mild salsa and less curry. If you like it really spicy, go with the hot salsa and add as much curry as you can stand.

2 cups of water with this makes a lot of sauce. If you want less sauce, try 1 cup.

I added frozen peas to this for some extra veggie servings.

No comments: