Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sometimes you can't win


Ever try to do something to save $$, then find out it's likely costing you $$?


That's where we are with CFL blubs right now. We put them in most rooms of the house with the idea that hey, we'll save energy and save $$ too.


Hasn't worked that way. DH reports no significant decrease in the electric bill. And worse, we're on our 3rd set of CFLs in the kitchen. The darn things seem to burn out just as quickly as incandescent bulbs. (And twice now, I've gotten replacement bulbs from the manufacturer).


To be fair, the bulbs have held up well in other rooms, but the kitchen ... don't know if it's the fixtures or what, but they just don't work for long there.


So we'll go back to incandescents in that room ... I think it will save us $$ in the long run.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I've noticed that CFL's don't last as long in the overhead fixture above my kitchen sink either. Hmmm, maybe because I have an older house? I've found that by far the best thing we've done to save on our electric bill is turning off power strips before bedtime.