Thursday, July 1, 2010

Silence

We had a power outage today ... lasted about an hour.

Fortunately, it wasn't too disruptive -- it was cool enough that we didn't need the AC, and I can light the gas stove's burners manually, so I was able to make lunch.

Halfway through the meal, DH remarked that, "It's so quiet."

He was right. It was quiet, and not because the TV or radio wasn't on. We were missing all those "house" noises that run in the background: the refrigerator humming, the "whump" of the sump pump, the dehumidifier cycling on and off, the occasional "beep" from the clocks or the phone.

Just quiet ...

It was kind of refreshing.

But I'm still happy the power came back on ...

1 comment:

Barb said...

Fortunately I've had no major outages this year. No tornados either knock on wood. I have on occasion over the yers wondered if a generator was worth the while