Saturday, June 26, 2010

Urban firewood

It's 90 degrees outside ... so let's talk about firewood!

Actually, the two subjects are somewhat connected. Those 90-degree days here have been followed by storms ... which tend to knock down trees and branches, creating firewood.

(Not to be flip .. I know said storms have done a great deal of damage in some areas ... fortunately, in our area, the tree damage is of the nuisance variety.)

When we first put in the fireplace, I was a little concerned that we wouldn't be able to find a low-cost (oh, all right, free) source of wood. But I've learned that if you look around, there's a fair amount of wood to be found in an urban/suburban area.

Sometimes it's a branch on the side of the road. (Looking for fun? Just try wrestling a big branch into a 4-door sedan.)

Sometimes it's a pile of cut wood next to the trash awaiting pickup. (When I went to the door to ask if I could take that wood, the homeowner looked at me like I was nuts. But he was OK with it ... probably wanted to get rid of the crazy lady, LOL!)

DH has also helped a couple of folks chop up their storm-felled trees in exchange for some of the wood ... which is how we got our latest supply.

And our own trees are good for producing kindling ... much too good, IMHO!

No comments: