Monday, June 14, 2010

A twist in the road

Apologies for being MIA the past week.

My elder cat, my 16-year-old sweetie, has slipped into kidney disease. We've spent a good deal of time this past week at the vet's office, or on the phone with the vet, and educating ourselves about what we're facing.

I've said in the past that should this kitty become seriously ill, I would hesitate to subject her to drastic treatment. I still feel that way. But as we looked at the options, we saw that we could manage this without drastic measures. So, as long as we can keep her comfortable with a good quality of life -- be it 3 weeks or 3 months or 3 years -- we'll do it. Fortunately, she's responding well to treatment. Also fortunately, our vet is on the same page with us.

Admittedly, this is darned expensive. But this is one reason I live frugally, so I can spend the money on things that matter. And I'm grateful that we can afford to do this.

If nothing else, this will certainly offer a new challenge in finding the best deals ;)

It's also going to force some lifestyle changes: administering daily meds and fluids kind of keeps us in one place. But we will cope.

So, we begin ....

No comments: