Sunday, May 23, 2010

Savings? It's a mystery

Back in late January, I mentioned that our ailing dishwasher was being used as a drying rack. We finally replaced it a couple of weeks ago (after the 10-day wait for a special order turned into a 30-day wait ... grr.)

But I digress. I'd really hoped to get an idea of just how much water we did or didn't save by doing dishes the old-fashioned way. Unfortunately, the water company wouldn't cooperate.

For three months, all we got were bills based on estimated usage. (I now suspect the utility has laid off all but one meter reader.) And to add insult to injury, the bills tend to be estimated on the high side.

Finally, we get a bill with an actual reading. Guess what? The balance was zero! In fact, they still owe us money!

But I don't know ... and will likely never know ... if we actually used a lot less water, or if the estimates are just too blasted high.

Sigh. At least the new dishwasher is supposed to be energy efficient.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Well, at least you have a purty new dishwasher to look at.

BTW, I hope you don't mind but I awarded you with the "versatille blogger" award!

http://storingupmytreasures.blogspot.com/2010/05/thank-you-very-kindly.html

DW said...

And it works very well, too!

And thank you for the award ... now I have to find 7 unknowns about myself, eh?