Friday, April 16, 2010

Clip job

I entered what for me was scary frugal territory: I cut my own hair.

To be honest, I didn't pick up the scissors so much to save $$ as to save time. It's been a tad busy around the casa de chaos, and a haircut kept getting pushed to the bottom of the list.

Besides, I have a straightforward hairstyle. I've watched the process for years. And I usually end up doing a bit of snipping anyway -- hair stylists don't always follow directions. But that childhood memory of cutting my own bangs ... the night before school picture day ... has always haunted me.

So I decided be conservative. I wet my hair, then got a long piece of masking tape and taped the hair to my neck at the spot where I wanted to cut. Then, very carefully, I cut along the tape line (no easy feat when you're looking in a mirror.) Used a bit more tape where I wanted to trim along the sides.

To be honest, I didn't get it perfectly straight in back. But my hair tends to curl under, so it's not obvious. I haven't quite gotten the layering the way I want it, but I'm working on that.

Over all, it looks OK. At least no one points and laughs when I go out in public.

Will I forgo the professional haircut? Eh, likely not. Any hairstylist can probably cut a straighter line than I can. But it's nice to know that I can do it in a pinch! (or is that a snip?)

2 comments:

Barb said...

You're a brave, brave girl.......!!

DW said...

I did have to screw up my courage to do it, LOL!