Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A frugal goose


No, not that kind of goose ;)

We have a new addition to the casa de chaos. Lucy .. our own concrete porch goose. (BTW, that's not our Lucy in the photo ... but it is a fine example of a concrete goose. )

In case you're wondering why I've done such a thing ... well, we in the Midwest are a bit strange. We enjoy putting concrete ornaments on our porches and dressing them up. Google "concrete goose" sometime and you'll see what I mean.

Actually, I seem to be a bit behind the curve on this. It was tough to find an affordable goose. Now if I had wanted to dress up a concrete gnome or a dog, I could have had my pick.

The downside of this is that it can cost a small fortune to buy the little outfits. So in the interests of frugality, I decided to sew Lucy's wardrobe.

One problem: Goose clothing patterns are hard to find. Especially free patterns.

So I punted. I'd purchased a goose dress last year, so I crafted a pattern from that. I used an old T-shirt, and some edging and buttons from my stash to create a retro-style coat for Lucy. (and hey, it's washable!)

A hat ... well, I'm still working on that one.

In the meantime, I'm scouting for patterns that might be adapted for goose clothing. And I will buy some yellow vinyl, because a rain slicker is a must-have for every respectable goose, you know.

But in the meantime ... Lucy needs a new dress for Easter.

No comments: