Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My head is spinning

Maybe it's because I don't buy major appliances more than, oh, once every other decade, but it seems the process has gotten rather complicated.

Since I'm replacing both a refrigerator and a dishwasher, I thought it would be prudent to get a look what the area stores offered in the brand I wanted. Boy, did I learn some things:


  • Just because two stores sell the same brands, it doesn't mean they sell the same models. Doesn't matter if two dishwashers look exactly alike, and have the same features. There's some tiny difference that makes them different models ... and different prices. So it's tough to do a straight comparison. Of course it doesn't help when you realize that the bigger refrigerator would suit your needs a lot better than the smaller one.
  • Then there are the add-ons. There's an installation fee, there may be a delivery fee (but hey, if you buy both appliances here, we'll give you a rebate on that fee.) Oh and by the way, there's this new installation kit you need. And this is before taxes, of course.
  • Then there's the "Of course, this is the sale price, which is only good until Wednesday." (Er, your store runs sales every week ...) And "Now our extended service plan is just $XXX." ( I usually ignore those things ... but a good friend reports that her high-end dishwasher blew its motor at 18 months....)

It's enough to drive you to indecision. Perhaps I should just store my food in ice chests and continue using the dishwasher as a drying rack, LOL!

2 comments:

Heather said...

We bought a washer, dryer and fridge all at the same time. I remember all the little add on costs and various things that they wanted us to buy. I'm glad that so far I've not had to replace anything, but it's been 7 years since I bought them so I know the time is coming.

Jackie said...

I found that out shopping for my new washer. Yippes did I ever have a headache before I was done.

We are going to have to replace the fridge soon and I am dreading that.

God bless.