Monday, January 25, 2010

Mulberry mystery

Back in October, I shared my sad tale of jelly-making ineptitude .... how I tried to make mulberry jelly and got syrup instead. And that, I decided to be smart and just make syrup.

Well, I'm here to tell you that I failed. I got (wait for it ...) mulberry juice.

So I did try the gelatin trick (heck, it worked the last time). I brought the (now very sweet) juice back up to a boil, stirred in a package of raspberry gelatin, let the jars cool and put them in the refrigerator ... where I promptly forgot about them for 3 months.

I pulled one out the other night and opened it. Darned if I didn't have JELLY!

It's a very soft jelly ... maybe more of a loose jam. But it's solid enough to spread on toast. And by gosh, it's rather tasty.

I don't know ... maybe I should stop here. God only knows what I'll get the next time I try.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

LOL. Sounds like my mint jelly this year. I have more mint syrup then I know what to do with.

God bless.