Sunday, October 25, 2009

Water torture


I'll spare everyone in blogdom my opinion of the local water company. But suffice it to say, rates have been going up sharply ... and will continue to go up sharply. So we've been vigilant about water usage here at the casa de chaos.

And we've been doing well: Our actual consumption has gone down, even though the bill has gone up.

Until a couple of days ago. The newest bill shows that we used 1.5 times more water than the previous month. Or any other month this year.

We're trying to figure this out. There's no sign of a big leak. There is a bit of seepage in one of the toilets, though I'm doubting it would add up that much. (memo: call plumber this week.) The previous month was estimated ... perhaps we did use more water that month? Though we've had so much rain that I haven't needed to water the garden.

Unfortunately, a meter check ruled out the possiblity that it was misread. (darn)

In the meantime, I'm going to go beat my head against the wall ...


A note: Thanks to those who offered condolences and prayers for my family.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Isn't it frustrating when your trying to conserve and it doesn't pay off like you want it too? I am the light switch Nazi in my house. Glad to see you're back!

Jackie said...

DW, hope that you find out where the water is going. I was hoping that our two month bill would be lower because of the giant rain barrel and the front load washer... It didn't happen, actually like yours it was higher.

Sorry to hear of your families loss. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.

God bless.