Thursday, October 29, 2009

If at first you don't succeed


Punt!

A couple of years ago, after our mulberry tree produced a bumper crop, I decided to make jelly.

Nice idea, one problem: The jelly wouldn't jell. I followed the directions; the pectin was fresh. But all I had was syrup.

Folks on the frugal forum suggested I bring the liquid to a boil again, then stir in a package of raspberry gelatin. It thickened it some, but it would never be mistaken for jelly.

So, I decided to call it syrup, and we eventually found uses for it. (With wine vinegar and spices, it made a nice salad dressing.)

But I still had a couple of containers of mulberry juice taking up room in the freezer.

So, I tried a recipe for syrup.

.... well ... perhaps it will thicken as it sits in the fridge. But right now, I seem to have mulberry juice.

I'm not quite sure what to do ... maybe I'll try the gelatin trick again. Maybe it will turn into jelly?


2 comments:

Gayle said...

Hi!
I followed Jackie over from the frugal living forum at about.com; anyhow I know how it is to have mulberry jelly that doesn't jell. We just use it as syrup on waffles and in any recipe that calls for fruit syrups.
Anyhow, the Sure Jell Pectin box insert has a "recipe" for getting non-jellied jelly to set, and I thought I'd share it with you:
*Prepare jars as for making jams & jellies.
*Slowly stir contents of 1 box Sure Jell Fruit Pectin into 3/4 cup cold water in small saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
*Trial Batch: Measure 1 cup unset jam or jelly, 2 Tbsp. sugar and 1 Tbsp. Pectin mixture into small saucepan. Bring to full rolling boil on high heat. Boil 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim of any foam. Pour into Prepared jar. Cover; let stand 24 hours to check set. Cover & refrigerate remaining Pectin Mixture.
*Remainder of batch: Do not make more than 8 cups of jam or jelly at one time. If Trial Batch sets, follow recipe above, using listed measures of sugar and Pectin Mixture for EACH 1 cup of jam or jelly. Measure jam or jelly, sugar, and Pectin Mixture into large saucepan. Bring to full rolling boil; boil 30 seconds stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam. Ladle quickly into prepared jars. Collow boiling water bath method to process jars. Discard any leftover Pectin Mixture.

Good luck!
=) Gayle

DW said...

Hi Gayle!
Nice to hear from you again! (You might remember me from FL as LWolfT).
Thanks for the recipe .. I'll definitely keep it handy. Maybe I should just go ahead and put some pectin in and see if I actually get jelly this time!)