Wednesday, August 5, 2009

What we leave behind

I've always wondered about this ....
In its new issue, Consumer Reports did a bit of research on just how much of a product is left in the bottle when you can't shake any more out.

They bought products in six categories, emptied the container, then waited for a few days for the remaining contents to settle. Then they "pumped, poured, squeezed, shook, and tapped as much as any frugal but rational consumer might. Then we weighed how much was left inside."

And the results:
  • Skin lotion 17-25% of the product left behind.
  • Liquid detergent 7-16%
  • Condiments 3-15%
  • Toothpaste 1-13%
  • Bottled hand soap, 3-6%
  • Glass cleaners, 1 to 3 %

Perhaps the fine folks over at CR wouldn't consider me rational. My motto is: I bought it, I'm using all of it! So I'll swish a little water in the bottle if practical, or take a knife or a pair of scissors to it and scrape out the remainder.

And perhaps I'm a bit cynical, but I do think some packages are designed so they won't empty easily ...

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I feel the same way as you and do exactly the same things. Seems to me that if I paid for it I am going to use as much of it as is possible.

God bless.

Jenn said...

I TOTALLY agree!