Monday, August 24, 2009

Travel notes

I'll admit that this poster isn't quite accurate: We only spent part of our vacation at home.


But that's a change for us ... usually, with a 2-week vacation, we'd be traveling the entire time. This year, we took a couple of shorter trips, meaning we were away only 6 out of a possible 16 days. So we saved on hotels, gas, meals and cat-sitting.


I also admit that in the past, we were big shoppers. At our favorite haunt in Michigan, we'd usually buy a case (or 2) of wines, a case of cherry jams, etc. (some for us, some for Christmas gifts.) But not this year. We bought a couple of jars of DH's favorite cherry butter. We didn't quite make a case of wine, either.


Part of that was the need to cut back, but also, inflation had something to do with it. I'm sure the $8-a-jar preserves are wonderful, but there are plenty of less-expensive alternatives that taste just as good. (and in case you're wondering, the cherry butter was not an $8 purchase.) We also passed on buying at about half the wineries we visited, simply because their prices had jumped past our budget. (and while I like a glass of wine, my palate isn't discerning enough that I have to have a $20 bottle.)


Sometimes I wonder if we're depriving ourselves. On the other hand, part of the fun of frugality is the adventure of trying new things. So for now, I think I'll just enjoy the hunt.

No comments: