Monday, May 11, 2009
The Best-Laid plans
Well, we didn't get to the vegetable garden on Sunday. Instead, we refurbished the front garden ...
It was supposed to be a straightforward project. (Yeah, I'm laughing, too.) A couple of trips to get the new edging, some topsoil and mulch.
Well, two trips turned into five trips, turning it into an all-afternoon project.
(It started when the local home improvement store said: Oh, we have the edging, but not in the color you want.
The store in the neighboring county has it.)
And, as usually happens in home improvement projects, we found some not-so-lovely surprises: Like, there's a severe erosion problem next to the porch. A bit of poking, and I realized why: The grr ... installers ... grr who put in the gutters two years ago pointed the downspout toward the house. Since it is all under the bushes, we never noticed.
I also realized that at least one of the plantings (original with the house) is half dead, and should come out. Can't say I really mind ... we expanded the garden a bit with the new edging, so it would be nice to have some new plantings in there.
Cost-wise, not too bad. Less than $25 in materials. Nursery bill to be included later.
And oh, yeah, the veggie garden: It got tilled this afternoon.