Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Time to plant


It's finally gardening time at the casa de chaos! (ask me in August if I'm still this happy about it;)


I've planted lettuce and some greens, basil and cilantro. (I'm still on the lookout for thyme seeds.)
I grow lettuce in large pots -- after more than a decade of dumping topsoil, etc., in the garden, the soil still has too much clay to grow lettuce well. And, it keeps it out of the bunnies' reach.


To keep costs down, I keep the potting soil from last year's plantings, usually adding a small bag to freshen things up.


I also spruce up my clay pots with a coat of spray paint. I started doing that when the pots began looking beat up. Of course, the drawback is that they have to be repainted every year, LOL! I find the color unifies them -- no one notices that they're different sizes.








No comments: