Friday, March 13, 2009

Use it up: Food edition

I promise, no more pudding tales, LOL!

A couple of things we're trying here at the casa de chaos kitchen:

I've decided to try making vegetable stock. We've made chicken stock for years, and even shrimp stock. (now if if lived in New England, I'd have a freezer full of lobster stock.) So it can't be too hard, right?
So, taking a few tips from my friends at the Dollar Stretcher forum, I have a bag in the freezer that I'm filling with various veggie scraps and peelings. Stay tuned!


We recently had a soup recipe that called for fresh cilantro. (also known as coriander). Now you can get a big bunch of it here for 75 cents or so. Nice, but not so great when you only need a couple of tablespoons!

So, I took the leftover leaves and popped them in the oven at 200 degrees for about an hour, turning and stirring several times. Voila! Dried cilantro.

When that was finished, I popped in some lime peel and let that dry out ... didn't take long at all.


Admittedly, this is one of those frugalities I wrestle with. On one hand, saving 70 cents worth of cilantro and a bit of lime peel is certainly more frugal than buying bottles of commercially bottled herbs. (or buying more fresh herbs each time.) Then again, I used energy to dry them, so that erases some of the savings.


Is there a right or wrong here? Likely not. At the end of the day, I feel good about not wasting something. And I suppose that counts most of all.


1 comment:

Jackie said...

I don't know if there is a right way or a wrong way to be frugal. I do believe that we need to use things up and not waste what is given to us.

Good job on the drying of your cilantro, and lime peels.

God bless.